You have probably heard the saying over and over again, "You can't out train a bad diet!" That is 100% TRUE!
A problem many individuals face is being under-fueled to perform at their optimal level on a daily basis. Busy schedules, long days, and a lack of planning are all contributing factors. It is important to build a strong foundation to maximize your daily performance and workout potential.
Nutrition Habits To Maximize Performance
1. Eat breakfast every morning. A morning without breakfast is like a gas tank running on empty throughout the day.
2. Eat frequently. Aim to eat every 3-4 hours.
3. Color your plate. Have 7-10 servings of fruits and vegetables to help reduce inflammation and muscle soreness.
4. Eat balanced snacks. Snacks should consist of healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
5. Post-workout recovery. Eat at least 30-60 minutes following a workout in order to refuel, aid in muscle recovery, and reduce hunger.
6. Have a plan. Take ownership -- make a grocery list, plan your breakfast the night before, pack your snacks, and set aside time to meal prep for the week.
Evaluate your nutrition plan to identify areas in which you can make improvements. Change a few habits at a time -- focus on one to two weaknesses to fix. Utilize the 85/15 Rule -- eat clean at least 85% of the time. Always remember balance and moderation when it comes to indulging. Once new habits are adapted, you are likely to see an improvement in energy levels, recovery time, and body composition.
Written by: Megan Osysko