For athletes and all individuals, it is extremely important that you are getting the proper post-workout nutrition in order to aid in the re-building and recovery of your muscles. The ideal carbohydrates to protein ratio of a post-workout routine is 3:1. You should aim to get at least 12-24 grams of protein which means the amount of carbohydrates you need ranges from 36-72 grams. A great way to receive the proper nutrients after a workout is through a protein shake.
Here is a simple recipe to try in order to refuel and recovery after your next workout:
- Mix the following content in a blender & enjoy!
- 4-6oz of Almond Milk (can substitute water or other type of milk depending on what you enjoy)
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Tbsp of flax-seed (or chia seeds) (added fiber)
- Tbsp of All-Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
- 1/2 of a banana
- one scoop of Protein Powder of your choice (focus on getting a 2:1 or 3:1 carbs to protein ratio immediately following exercise)
Written by: Megan Osysko